The diabetes class at St. Thomas received an extra special treat when Ms. Gwendolyn Jones appeared with a warm dish of homemade turkey lasagna and a green salad. Ms. Jones, a professional cook and caterer, wanted to share with the class her expertise in selecting a healthy recipe which is low in carbs and salt but also delicious.
After serving each patient a portion of the casserole and salad, she sat down and discussed the recipe with the class. Ms. Jones stressed that healthy food can taste delicious. The class agreed! Her lasagna was a testament to that! Ms. Jenn Parent, registered dietitian at St. Thomas, greatly enjoyed working with Ms. Jones, who showed the class that healthy food does not have to be expensive or complicated to make. Ms. Jones’ love of cooking and enthusiasm about living a healthy life inspired everyone.
The diabetes class and team are extremely grateful for all of her knowledge and hard work!
Ms. Jones’ Lasagna Recipe
- 2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1 small onion
- 1 small bell pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon fresh garlic
- 1 can no salt added tomato paste
- 1 tbsp low-sodium Dale’s Seasoning
- Pinch of accent
- 1 pound lasagna noodles
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 16 oz low fat cottage cheese
- 20 oz low fat Mozzarella cheese
- 3 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brown ground turkey in frying pan with a small amount of
water. Add onion, garlic, and bell pepper. Add tomato paste, Dale’s Seasoning, and 1 ½
cups water. Mix well.
- Mix cottage cheese, eggs, and almost all of Mozzarella cheese together in a bowl. Set
aside. In another bowl, mix remaining Mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese together.
- Boil lasagna noodles in water until almost done. Drain with cold water. Set aside.
- In a medium size pan, place layers in the following order: lasagna noodles, meat mixture,
and cottage cheese mixture. Repeat until the final layer of lasagna noodles and meat
mixture. Top with Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 60-75 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Balsamic raspberry vinaigrette
- Chop cucumbers, tomatoes, and carrots. Mix with lettuce.
- Pour small amount of vinaigrette onto salad. Toss well to coat with dressing